Question. Arundhati has been promoted to the post of Marketing Division Head of a soft drink company. Identify the level of management at which she will be working henceforth. State any four functions that she will have to perform at this level.
Ans. Henceforth, Arundhati will be working at middle level of management.
The four functions that she will have to perform at this level are stated below:
1. She had to ensure that her department has the necessary staff.
2. She has to assign duties and responsibilities to the people in her department.
3. She has to motivate the people in her department to achieve the desired objectives.
4. She has to co-operate with the other departments for ensuring smooth functioning of the organization.
Question. Esha works as the cost and risk management head of a company in power sector. As a result of her excellent managerial competence, the company is able to reduce costs and increase productivity. The company belongs to infrastructure sector, where regular amendments are are made in the government regulations and policies. She holds regular meetings to ensure that people in her department are not only aware of the related changes but are also able to adapt to these changes effectively. This helps the company to maintain its competitive edge. She motivates and leads her team in such a manner that individual members are able to achieve personal goals while contributing to the overall organizational objective. In the process of fulfilling her duties for the growth of the organization, she helps in providing competitive services, adopting new technology,creating more employment opportunities etc. for the greater good of the people at large.
In context of the above case:
Identify the various reasons that have made management so important by quoting lines from the paragraph.
Ans. The various reasons mentioned in the above paragraph that have made management so important are stated below:
1. Management increases efficiency as it leads to reduction in costs due to optimum utilization of resources.
“As a result of her excellent managerial competence the company is able to reduce costs and increase productivity.”
2. Management creates a dynamic organization so that it is able to incorporate the corresponding changes in its working with any change in its business environment.
“The company belongs to infrastructure sector,wherein regular amendments are made in the government regulations and policies. She holds regular meetings to ensure that people in her department are not only aware of the related changes but are also able to adapt to these changes effectively. This helps the company to maintain its competitive edge.”
3. Management helps in achieving personal objectives of the employees in the organization.
“She motivates and leads her team in such a manner that individual members are able to achieve personal goals while contributing to the overall organizational objective.”
4. Management helps in the development of society by contributing effectively towards it is multiple ways.
“In the process of fulfilling her duties for the growth of the organization, she helps in providing competitive services, adopting new technology,creating more employment opportunities etc. for the greater good of the people at large.
Question. Volvo Ltd’s target is to produce 10000 shirts per month at a cost of Rs. 100/- per shirt.
The Production Manager achieved this target at a cost of Rs. 90/- per shirt. Do you think the ‘Production Manager’ is effective? Give one reason in support of your answer.
Ans. Yes, the Production Manager is effective because he has completed the task and achieved
the goal of producing 10000 shirts. He is efficient also as he has achieved the target at a lower cost.
Question. Ritu is the manager of the northern division of a large corporate house. At what level does she work in the organization? What are the basic functions?
Ans. Ritu is working at the middle level of management. See from book.
Question. Aman, Ahmad and Ally are partners in a firm engaged in the distribution of dairy products in Maharashtra state. Aman is a holder of Senior Secondary School Certificate from Central Board of Secondary Education with Business Studies as one of his elective subjects. Ahmad had done his post graduation in History and Ally in dairy farming. One day there was a serious discussion between Ahmad and Ally regarding the nature of management.
Ahmad argued that management was a profession whereas Ally argued against it saying that the legal and medical professions are the only professions because they fulfill all the conditions of profession.
Aman on the basis of his knowledge of business studies explained the nature of management as a profession to Ahmad and Ally.
Explain how Aman would have satisfied both Ahmad and Ally.
Ans. Aman would have satisfied both Ahmad and Ally by giving the following explanation:
Management is a profession. However, it is not a full-fledged profession like legal, accounting or medical professions because it does not meet the exact criteria of a profession.
The application of the features of a profession to management is examined below:
1. Well-defined body of knowledge:
2. Restricted Entry:
3. Professional Association:
4. Ethical code of conduct:
5. Service motive:
Question. B Ltd. wants to modify its existing product, CD players in the market due to decreasing sales. What decisions/steps should each level of management take to give effort to these decisions?
Ans. The company wants to modify its existing product, CD players in the market because of today’s dynamic business environment. For this, each level of management must divide its task.
Functions of top management:
1. They must plan the technique of modification/modernization of the product. They may plan to manufacture DVD players or Blue raw players, etc. to modernize the product.
2. They must organize and assemble necessary resources and coordinate the efforts of all the departments towards modernization.
Functions of middle management:
1. They must implement the plans laid down by top management in their respective departments or divisions.
2. They must interpret the plan and policies to their subordinates.
Functions of operational/supervisory management:
1. They must assign the tasks to workforce and supervise that the task is carried on in the right direction.
2. They must maintain the quality of work and reduce the wastage by improving the motivation and loyalty of workers.
Question. Sonali is the manager of a large company manufacturing garments for kids. She plans her winter collection in the month of August itself. Then, she ensures that there is adequate workforce. She continuously monitors whether production is proceeding according to plans.
She asks the marketing department to prepare their promotional and advertising campaigns also.
1. Identify and explain the concept of management explained in the above para.
2. What characteristic feature does the above para highlight? State.
It is the force that binds all the functions of management. It is the common thread that runs through all activities such as purchase, production, sales, finance, etc. to ensure continuity in the working of the organization.
Coordination is not a separate function of management. It is the essence of management. It is implicit and inherent in all functions of management.
- Top management plans for the entire organization.
- According to these plans, the organizational structure is developed and staffed.
- In order to ensure that these plans are executed according to plans, directing is requires.
- Any deviation between the actual and the standard performance is corrected at the stage of controlling.
2. Coordination is a continuous process. It begins at the planning stage and continues till controlling.
Question. H. Tech Ltd. is a company producing IT services. The company’s profits are enough for the survival and growth. The management of the company believes that a satisfied employee creates a satisfied customer, who in turn creates profits that lead to satisfied shareholders. So, it pays competitive salaries and perks to its all employees. All the employees are happy working in the organization because of personal growth and development.
The company has a strong sense of social responsibility. It has set up an Engineering College in which one-third of the students are girls to whom the company gives 50% scholarship.
Is the management of H. Tech Ltd. fulfilling its objectives? Justify your answer by giving reasons.
Ans. Yes, the management of H. Tech Ltd. is fulfilling all the objectives – organizational objectives, social objectives and personal objectives.
1. Organizational objectives
2. Social objectives
3. Personal objectives
Question. Directors of Bhuvan Ltd. assigned the task of implementing the plans and policies framed by the board to all the departmental heads. Departmental head appointed supervisors, superintendent, executives, etc. so that work can be assigned to workers as per the plan supervisors kept a check on workers as per the plan.
1. Identify the feature of management highlighted in above para.
2. Explain that feature.
Ans. 1. The feature highlighted in above para is“management is a group activity.”
Question. Govinda Ltd. is a highly reputed company. Different functions are performed by different individuals in this company, who are bound together in a hierarchy of relationships. Every individual in the hierarchy is responsible for successful completion of a particular task. Mr. Gauranga is responsible for the welfare and survival of the organization. He formulates overall organizational goals and strategies for their achievement. MR. Nityanand ensures that quality of output is maintained, wastage of materials is minimized and safety standards are maintained. Mr. Sanatan assigns necessary duties and responsibilities to the personnel and motivates them to achieve desired objectives At what levels of management are MR.Gauranga, Mr. Nityanand and Mr. Sanatan working in Govinda Ltd.? Justify your answer.
1. Mr. Gauranga is working at the top level management.
He is responsible for the welfare and survival of the organization. He formulates overall organizational goals and strategies for their achievement.
2. Mr. Nityanand is working at the lower level management.
He ensures that quality of output is maintained,wastage of materials is minimized and safety standards are maintained.
3. Mr. Sanatan is working at the middle level management.
He assigns necessary duties and responsibilities to the personnel and motivates them to achieve desired objectives.
Question. The management of Vrinda Ltd.strongly believes that the members of an organization should work towards fulfilling the common organizational goals. This requires team work and integration of efforts of all individuals, departments and specialists. This is because all the individuals and departments depend on each other for information and resources to perform their respective activities.Managers need to reconcile differences in approach, timing, effort or interest. At the same time it should enable all its members to grow and develop. Thus, there is a need to harmonize individual goals and organizational goals.
1. Identify the concept of management discussed above.
2. State any three features of the concept identified in (a).
3. Identify and explain the characteristic of management which is reflected from the above para.
2. Features of coordination:
- Coordination integrates group efforts by unifying diverse interest.
- Coordination ensures unity of action by acting as a binding force between departments.
- Coordination is a continuous process as it begins at planning stage and continues till controlling.
3. Management is a group activity.
- An organization is a group of different individuals who work together with team spirit and coordination to achieve the goals of the organization.
Question. Nishtha is the marketing manager of a company selling laptops. She plans the target sale of 2000 laptops per month. She allocates necessary resources to carry out the plan. She has six salesmen working under her. She works with them, guiding and motivating them to achieve the target sales. At the end of the month, after comparison of actual sales with the target sales she found that actual sales exceeded the target sales. She rewards the efficient employees to motivate them.
1. How does Nishtha prove the importance of management? Explain.
2. Also state any two values which she wants to communicate to the society by her behavior.
1. The marketing manager, Nishtha helps in:
a. Achieving the group goals by giving a common direction to the individual effort of her subordinates in achieving the target sale of 2000 laptops in a month.
b. Increasing efficiency of employees by rewarding them.
- She performs all the functions of management.
- She plans the target sale of 2000 laptopsper months’ – Planning
- She allocates necessary resources to carry out the plan’ – Organizing
- She works with them, guiding and motivating them to achieve the target sales’ – Directing
- At the end of the month, after comparison of actual sales with the target sales she found than actual sales exceeded the target sales’ – Controlling
- Sense of achievement
- Belongingness (any two)
Question. Sooraj works as a salesman in a company selling pet accessories and food. He has been given a target of selling 1200 units of the food packets in a month by offering a maximum of 10% discount to his customers.In order to meet his monthly sales target, on the last two days of the months, he offers 15% discount to his customers.In the context of the above case:
Is Sooraj effective in his work? Explain by giving a suitable reason in support of your answer.
Ans. Yes, Sooraj is effective in his work as he has been able to meet his monthly sales target of selling 1200 units of the food packets.
Question. Ajay and Sanjay are childhood friends. Sanjay had lost his right hand in an accident in childhood. They meet after a long time in a restaurant. On being asked, Sanjay tells Ajay that he feels much discounted in managing his family business after the death of his father as it doesn’t match with his areas of interest. Ajay knows that Sanjay possess extraordinary skills in management although he hasn’t acquired any professional degree in management. Therefore, he asks Sanjay to wind up his business in India and join him in his hotel business in Dubai as an Assistant Manager in Sales and Marketing Division.
In context of the above case:
1. Can Sanjay be deployed at the post of Assistant Manager in Sales and Marketing Division though he hasn’t acquired any professional degree in management? Explain
by giving suitable justifications in support of your answer.
2. List any two values that are reflected in this act of Ajay.
1. Yes, Sanjay can be deployed at the post of Assistant Manager in Sales and Marketing Division although he hasn’t acquired any professional degree in management as management is not considered to be a full-fledged profession because of the following reasons:
• Restricted entry:
• Professional association:
2. The two values that are reflected in this act of Ajay are:
Question. Anju and Manju are good friends.
Considering the cast that the activities involved in managing an enterprise are common to all organizations, after completing their masters in business management, both of them take up a job at managerial level in different organizations as per their individual areas of interest. Anju tales up a marketing job in a retail company and strives to increase sales where as Manju joins an NGO and works diligently to realize its objective related to providing employment to specially abled persons. Both of them have to perform a series of continuous, composite, but separate functions. On some days, Anju may spend more time in planning a future display layout and on another day,she may spend time in sorting out an employee’s problem. Both Anju and Manju make conscious efforts to build a feeling of team spirit and coordination among diverse individuals with different needs who work under them. The effect of their management is noticeable in their respective departments as the targets are met according to plans, employees are happy and satisfied, and there is orderliness in its functioning rather than chaos.
In context of the above case:
Identify the various features of management highlighted in the above paragraph by quoting lines form it.
Ans. The various features of management highlighted in the above paragraph are stated
1. Management is all pervasive:
2. Management is a goal-oriented process:
3. Management is a continuous process:
4. Management is a group activity:
5. Management is an intangible force:
Question. Unique enterprises is able to achieve the target production of 5,000 units within the prescribed time; however to achieve this target they hired extra workers on adhoc and spent
around is 40,000 extra to pay the adhoc workers sot that target production can be achieved on time.
1. Do you think unique enterprise is effective or efficient?
2. Was their decision to hire adhoc workers to achieve the target was correct?
3. Explain the concept of management highlighted above.
1. Unique enteprise is effective but not efficient.
2. No, the decision to hire adhoc workers and spending extra is not correct; this will reduce the efficiency of enterprise.
3. The concept referred in this case is “Balance between effectiveness and efficiency.”
Question. Real Alliance Ltd. is a well-known cement company in India. It is able to earn adequate revenues to cover costs. Its capital base, number of employees and production turnover has increased manifolds over the years. The rate of profitability of the business is also creditable. The employees of the company are happy and satisfied with their remuneration, working conditions, promotion policy etc. As a part of its moral obligation, the company has taken many initiatives for providing employment to especially abled persons and promoting literacy in the villages adopted by it.
In the context of the above case:
1. Identify and explain the various types of objectives of management being fulfilled by Real Alliance Ltd by quoting lines from the paragraph.
2. List any two values that real Alliance Ltd. wants to communicate to the society.
Ans. The various objectives of management being fulfilled by Real Alliance Ltd are stated below:
1. Organizational objectives:
2. Personal objectives:
3. Social objectives:
4. The two value that Real Alliance Ltd. wants to communicate to the society are:
5. Social welfare
6. Respect for their employees
Question. Dheeraj is working as ‘Operations Manager’ in Tifco Ltd. Name the managerial level at which he is working. State any four functions he will perform as ‘Operations Manager’ in this company.
Ans. Dheeraj is working at middle level management.
Functions: The main task of Dheeraj is to carry out the plans formulated by the top managers. For this he need to:
1. Interest the policies framed by top management,
2. Ensure that his department has the necessary personnel; assign necessary duties and responsibilities to them.
3. Motivate them for higher productivity to achieve desired objectives, and
4. Cooperate with other departments for smooth functioning of the organization.
Question. Ramarjuna joins an IT from as a system analyst after completing his masters in Computer Science. As the nature of his work demands he has to work in very close coordination with all the departmental head sin the firm, very soon Ramarjuna realizes that each departmental head has own individual style of working. They differ greatly in their day-to-day approach to work. They tend to deal with a given situation, an issue or a problem through a combination of their own experience, creativity, imagination, initiative and innovation.
In the context of the above case:
Identify and explain the nature of management highlighted in the above case.
Ans. In the above case, management is being considered as an art.
Art is the skillful and personal application of existing knowledge to achieve desired results.
The evaluation of management as an art is given below:
1. Existence of theoretical knowledge:
2. Personalized applications:
3. Based on practice and creativity:
Question. Dharam is a well-known businessman in the field of publishing. He owes the success of his business to his own education in business management and his team of certified management consultants. Therefore, he decides to send both his children Danush and Damini abroad to acquire a degree in business management in their individual area of expertise. He feels that all over the world there is marked growth in management s a discipline, but still it is not considered to be a
full-fledged profession for certain reasons.
In the context of the above case:
1. Explain the reasons because of which Dharam considers management as a discipline.
2. Critically examine the various reasons because of which management is not considered to be a full-fledged profession.
1. Dharam considers management as a discipline because there exist a number of theories and principles on management which have been formulated by various management experts. It is taught in various schools and colleges, all over the world, as a separate subject of study.
2. Management is not considered to be a fullfledged profession because of the following reasons:
- Restricted entry:
- Professional association:
Question. Sujata works as a designer in n export house. As per the terms of an order received by the export house, she has to get 100 units of denim jackets made in 15 days @ Rs. 2000 per jacket. She is able to complete her target production in 20 days because in order to complete it he order in 15 days she would have made the workers work over time. As a result, the cost of production per jacket may have ncreased by Rs. 100.
In the context of the above case:
Is Sujata efficient in her work? Explain by giving a suitable reason in support of your answer.
Ans. Yes, Sujata is efficient in her work as she has been able to 1000 unitsof denim jackets made Rs. 2000 per jacket.
Question. Sridhar’s father is working as a section in-charge in a government office. Identify the level of management at which he is working?
State any five functions that he has to perform at this level.
Ans. Sridhar’s father is working as a section incharge in a government office. He is working at the lower level of management. He has to perform the following functions at this
level of management:
1. He has to directly oversee the efforts of the workforce.
2. He has to serve as a link between the workers and middle level managers.
3. He has to ensure sufficient availability of resources and good quality of output.
4 He has to provide guidance and training to workers
5. He has to ensure that good working conditions are provided to the workers.
Question. Geetika is working in a private sector bank. One of her key function relates to the formulation of the overall organizational goals and strategies of the bank. Identify the level of management at which she is working? State any three other functions that she has to perform at this level.
Ans. Geetika is working at the top level of management in the private sector bank. The three other functions that she has to perform at this level are outlined below:
1. She is responsible for the success and failure of the organization.
2. She is responsible for all the business activities and its impact on society.
3. She has to coordinate the activities of different departments in pursuit of common goals.
Question. Bhuvan argues that management is required in all kinds of organizations where as Piyush feels that management is not required in non-business organizations such as school,
club, hospitals, etc. who is correct?
Ans. Bhuvan, because management is pervasive.
Question. Mohan has retired from the post of a foreman in a factory. At what level of management is he working?
Ans. Supervisory or operational level.
Question. ‘Sonu Nigam’ the famous playback singer always spends time for practice and adds his creativity in his singing.Like Sonu Nigam, Mr. Rajiv, manager of Headlines Ltd. uses his creativity and practice management principles under different situations to manage the business. The employees are happy and satisfied as he every day reward employees for their punctuality and efficiency.
1. Identify the nature of management highlighted above.
2. Name other two aspects of nature of management.
3. Identify the values followed by Mr. Rajiv.
1. Nature of management highlighted above is “Management as an Art”
2. The other two aspects of nature of management are:
• Management as Science.
• Management as Profession.
Motivating employees for discipline and punctuality.Good and responsible behavior by rewarding employees.
Question. Bhuvan Ltd., a garment manufacturing Company set the target production of 100 garments per month at the estimated cost of Rs. 200 per garment. Mohan, a worker worked
double shift and manufactured around 150 garments but at the estimated cost of Rs. 230 per garment. On the other hand, Ravi another worker focus on cost and handled resources very carefully so the manufactured 90 garments but at the estimated cost of Rs. 190 per garment. Third worker maintained the balance and achieved target of 100 garments at the estimated cost of Rs. 200 per garment.
1. Identify the quality possessed by Ravi,Mohan and what they are lacking.
2.What quality is prossessed by third worker ?
3. Which worker is preferred by management?
1. Mohan is effective but he lacks efficiency.
Ravi is efficient but he lacks effectiveness.
2. Third worker is effective as well as efficient
3. Management prefer third worker as management always insist on achievement of goal effectively as well as efficiently.
Question. To meet the objectives of the firm, the management of Bhavya Ltd. offers employment to physically challenged persons.
Identify the organizational objective it is trying to achieve. Give reason in support of your answer.
Ans. Growth, since number of employees is increasing, it leads to increase in production and hence growth of the company.
Question. Management of Alpha Ltd. has installed a special recycling plant to recycle the waste instead of dumping the waste in ground. It is also providing employment opportunities to
local residents. Company started a school nearby for the children of their employees.
1. Identify the objectives company is fulfilling.
2. (ii) Quote the lines from above para which indicate those objective.
1. Social and personal objectives
“Installed a recycle plant”: Social objective.
1. “Started a school for children of their employees”. Personal objectives.
Question. Alpha Ltd. is a Company that manufacturers mobile phones and accessories.
Its profits are declining nowadays. The sales department blames production department for low quality, the production department blames
purchase department for not supplying good quality parts.
1. What quality of management is lacking in the above case?
2. Explain the nature of the concept.
Question. Sanjana is the branch manager of ABC Handicrafts Pvt. The company’s objective is to promote the sales of Indian handloom and handicraft products. Its sells fabrics,furnishings, ready-mades and household items are made out of traditional Indian fabrics. Sanjana decides quantities, variety, colour and texture of all the above items and then allocates resources for their purchase form different suppliers. She appoints a team of designers and crafts people in the company, who developed some prints for bed covers in bright colour on silk. Although they looked very impressive, they were more expensive than they had planned to sell. Average customer could not afford to buy it. Praising their effort,Sanjana suggested that they should keep the silk bed covers for special occasions like Diwali and Christmas and offer the cotton bed covers on a regular basis to keep costs under control.
Identify the functions of management which Sanjana performs by quoting the lines the above para.
1. Planning: ‘Sanjana decides quantities,variety, colour and texture of all the above items…’
2. Organizing:’…allocates resources for their purchase form different suppliers.’
3. Staffing: ‘She appoints a team of designers and crafts people in the company…’
4. Directing: ‘Praising their effort, Sanjana suggested that they should keep the silk bed covers for special occasions like Diwali and Christmas…’
5. Controlling: ‘…offer the cotton bed covers on a regular basis to keep costs under control.’‘…they were more expensive than they had planned to sell.’
Question. A group of people believes that management is a systematic body of knowledge that explains certain general truth and is based on logical observation.
Identify and explain the nature of management discussed in above case.
Ans. Management as a Science.
Question. In an organization sales department wants to increase the sale by 20% so sales department planned to offer extra discounts to customers. Finance department raised objection on it as they sat it will result in loss of revenue and company may face liquidity problem.
1. Name the importance of coordination referred here.
2. State other two importance of coordination.
1. “Functional differentiation”
2. Other two importance:
1. Size (b) Specialization.
Question. Kartik joins a garment factory as a plant supervisor in Lucknow. He observes that the output of some workers is very low as compared to the standards set for their performance. On analyzing the reasons for the same, he finds out that a lot of time of the workers is wasted in getting the requisite materials issued form the store. Whereas on asking, the store keeper complains that there is no harmony in the working of the production department as a whole. Every day the workers approach him at the last minute to procure different kinds of threads, laces, mirrors, buttons etc. If it is not available in the store then he has to place an order with the purchase officer. As a result, a lot of time of the workers is wasted. So, in order to integrate the various production activities, henceforth, Kartik ensures that the store keeper is informed well three days in advance about the requisite materials. Consequently, the store keeper is able to keep the materials ready for the workers every morning in accordance with their requirements.
In context of the above case:
1. Identify and explain the quality of management that Kartik has introduced in the working of the production department as a corrective measure to control the output of the workers.
2. State briefly and two points highlighting the importance of quality of management identified in part (a).
1. Coordination is the quality of management that Kartik has introduced in the working of the production department as a corrective measure to control the output of the workers.
Coordination is the process which helps to integrate the efforts of different individuals with diverse needs to secure a unity of action in the pursuit of common goals.
2. The two points highlighting the importance of coordination are stated below:
- Growth in the size
- Functional differentiation
Question. Mr. Rajiv and Arun are responsible for welfare of the whole organization. Their job is very complex they have to develop long term objectives, policies and review the work of different heads at different level. Mr. John and Mr. Singh are responsible for the working of department they are heading, they formulate short term departmental objectives in accordance with organizational objectives.Mr. Philip, Mrs. Archana, Mrs. Kamlesh and Mrs. Kavita are in direct contact with the workforce consisting of various employees and workers. They are responsible for quality of work and providing good working conditions to workers.
1. State the three level of management.
2. Name the persons who are involved in different level from the above para.
1. Top level, middle level, supervisory level.
2. Top level – Mr. Rajiv and Arun
Middle level – Mr. John and Singh
Supervisory level – Mr. Philip, Mrs. Archana,Kamlesh and Kavita.
Question. The manager of Alpha Ltd. is very efficient and effective and makes sure all the employees and workers in his team perform the task on time with minimum cost. His main focus is on cost cutting so he never listens to the demand of workers for increasing wages. He even gives no opportunity to worker for promotion. As a result workers started becoming frustrated and disheartened all the time.
1. Which objective of management could not be achieved by the manager?
2. State other two objectives of management.
3. State any one value ignored by the manager.
1. Personal/Human or individual objective.
2. (i) Economic 9iik) Social
3. Value of humanity, Care.
Question. The management of Amaira Ltd. strongly believes that the members of the organization should work toward fulfilled the common organizational goals. This requires team work and integration of efforts of all individuals departments and specialists. This is because all the individuals and departments depend on each other for information and resources to perform their respective activities. Manager needs to reconcile differences in approach, timing, efforts and interest. At the same time it should enable all its members to grow and develop. Thus, there is a need to harmonize individual goals and organizational goals.
1. Stat the concept of management discussed above.
2. State any three features of the concept identified in above para.
3. State value referred in above para.
2. Give features of coordination.
3. Value of Harmony between employees and management.
Question. Mega Ltd. manufactured water-heaters.
In the first year of its operations, the revenue earned by the company was just sufficient to meet its cost. To increase the revenue, the company analyzed the reasons behind the less revenues. After analysis, the company decided:
• To reduce the labour cost by shifting the manufacturing unit to a backward area where labour was available at a very low rate.
• To start manufacturing solar waterheaters and reduce the production of electric water-heaters slowly.
This will not only help in covering the risks but also help in meting other objectives.
1. Identify and explain the objectives of management discussed above.
2. State any two values which the company wanted to communicate to society.
1. The objectives of management discussed above are:
• Organizational objectives:
• Social Objectives:
2. The two values that the company wanted
to communicate to the society are:
3. Rural development
4. Environment sustainability
Question. Mr. Nitin Singhania’s father has a good business of iron and steel. He wants to go to the USA for his MBA but his father thinks that he should join the business. On the basis of emerging trends, do you think that Mr. Singhania should send his son to the USA?Give any three reasons in support of your answer.
Ans. Yes, according to me, Mr. Singhania should send his son to USA for his MBA because management is being recognized as a profession to a great extent because of the following reasons:
1. Well defined body of knowledge:
2. Ethical code of conduct:
3. Service motive:
Question. XYZ Power Ltd. set up a factory for manufacturing solar lanterns in a remote village as there was no reliable supply of electricity in rural areas. The revenue earned by the company was sufficient to cover the costs and the risks. The demand of lanterns was increasing day by day, so the company decided to increase production to generate higher sales. For this they decided to employ people from the nearby villages as very few job opportunities were available in that area. The company also decided to open schools and crèches for the children of its employees.
1. Identify and explain the objectives of management discussed above.
2. The company is fulfilling the organizational and social objectives of management.
1. The company is fulfilling the organizational and social objectives of management.Organizational objectives include survival, profit and growth.
- In order to survive, XYZ Power Ltd. earns enough revenues.
- Company’s profits are sufficient to the cover the costs and the risks.
- Since demand for lanterns was increasing day by day and so the company decided to increase production to generate higher sales, it implies that the company exploits fully its growth potential.
- Social objectives involve the creation of benefits for the society.
- The company decided to employ people from the nearby villages as very few job opportunities were available in that area. It also decided to open schools and crèches for the children of its employees.
- Providing employment opportunities in rural areas
- Concern for the environment
- Socially responsible behaviour
- Community development by opening schools and crèches for children (any two)
Question. Jayant is working as Head Relationship Manager in the wealth management division of a private sector bank. He has created an internal environment which is conducive to an effective and efficient performance of his team of ten relationship management executives. A typical day at work in Jayant’s life consists of a series of interrelated and continuous functions.He decides the targets for his department which are in line with the objectives of the organizations a whole. The future course of action for his team members is laid out well in advance. The various resources required by the relationship managers like an Paid with GPS system, account opening forms,brochures, details of account holders etc. are made readily available to them. The executives are given sufficient authority to carry out the work assigned to them. Jayant works in close coordination with the human Resource Manager in order to ensure that he is able to create and maintain a satisfactory and satisfied work force in his department. Through constant guidance and motivation, Jayant inspires them to realize their full potential. He offers them various types of incentives from time to time keeping in view their diverse individual needs. Moreover, he keeps a close watch on their individual performances in order to ensure that they are in accordance with the standards set and takes corrective actions whenever needed.
In context of the above case:
1. Identify the concept being referred to in the following line, “He created an internal environment which is conducive to an effective and efficient performance of his team of ten relationship management executives.”
2. Identify and describe the various functions of the concept as identified in part (a) of the question by quoting liens from the paragraph.
1. The concept of management is being referred to in the following line, “He has created an internal environment which is conducive to an effective and efficient performance of his team of ten relationship management executives.”
2. The various functions of the management concept mentioned in the above paragraph are listed below:
Question. Yash Ltd. is facing a lot of problems these days. It manufactures electronic goods like washing machines, microwave ovens,refrigeration and air-conditioners. The company’s margins are under pressure and the profits and market marketing department blames production department for producing goods, which are not of good quality to meet customers’ expectations. The finance department blames both production and marketing departments for declining return on
investment and bad marketing.
1. What quality of management do you think the company is lacking? Justify your answer.
2. State the importance of the concept identified in (a).
1. Coordination: because production,marketing and finance departmental efforts are not coordinated for achieving organizational objectives harmoniously. As a result, the company’s profits and market share are declining.
2. Importance of Coordination
- Growth in size:
- Functional differentiation: